Advanced Contemplative Care Training
New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care is pleased present a training program for Contemplative Care Educators. It is designed to meet the growing demand for NYZCCC’s clinically based education and to ensure that this transformative experience is available for generations to come. Trainees will receive extensive mentoring and support as they develop their teaching skills, deepen their Zen practice and realize their vision to become part of NYZCCC’s educational leadership.
The process of training as a Contemplative Care Educator encompasses teaching contemplative practice and its integration into care. Held as an act of generosity and equanimity, contemplative practice allows the educator to share that which has benefited their life, and in doing so, deepens their understanding of the dharma, inspiring an integrated life of compassion and wisdom. This calling, held with virtue, integrity and compassion, is a sacred trust.
There are two phases of training. In the first three years participants serve as Contemplative Care Mentors and in the following two years, they may begin to practice as a Contemplative Care Educator.
Contemplative Care Mentor
A Contemplative Care Mentor is a member of the NYZCCC community who practices meditation with the sangha on a weekly basis, has participated in the contemplative training program and is engaged with care at the bedside. They attend NYZCCC’s fall Contemplative Care Retreat and the January Sesshin. They meet for supervision twice a month with the core teachers, assist in teaching Foundations and mentor Foundations students.
Contemplative Care Educator
A Contemplative Care Educator is a member of the NYZCCC community, who has completed at least three years as a Mentor, expresses their commitment through participation in weekly community meditation practice, and teaches the clinical aspects of contemplative care. They attend NYZCCC’s fall Contemplative Care Retreat and the January Sesshin, work closely with the Director of Education and have bi-monthly supervisions.
Individuals cannot apply to be a Contemplative Care Mentor or Educator.
NYZCCC’s teachers will recommend candidates, identifying those whom they believe have a developed Zen practice, the needed maturity and a temperament for teaching.
Requirements for consideration:
- Masters Degree, or working towards one, in a related field to include education, social work, divinity, etc.
- Completion of Certificate in Contemplative Care (which can be completed during the training period)
- Foundations in Contemplative Care, Catch Your Mind, Precepts Study and Ways of Zen are required
- Practicing with the community in at least one weekly meditation practice on Monday and/or Wednesday evenings or Sunday morning
- Participation annually in at least two NYZCCC retreats
- Co-facilitating Foundations in Contemplative Care with Zen teachers and mentoring students
- Four Units of Clinical Pastoral Education (or so actively engaged in completing)
- Daily meditation practice
- Become a Sustaining Member of NYZCCC
- Board Certification as a Chaplain (or eligible) or ACPE Supervisory Student preferred (or working towards)
- Weekly psychotherapy
- Courses taught by NYZCCC Zen teachers tuition free
- Contemplative Care Mentors and Educators will receive an honorarium and modest travel expenses