Professional Chaplaincy Training (CPE)
We are the first and only Buddhist-based organization, fully accredited by the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education, to offer professional chaplaincy training—Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE). Our New York City ACPE Clinical Pastoral Education Training Program is open to those who have completed our Foundations in Buddhist Contemplative Care Training Program. Our CPE Training Program is a professional level training and is designed for both those interested in becoming professional chaplains, and those interested in deepening their spiritual practice.
Our Clinical Pastoral Education Program is a multi-faith professional education, from a contemplative perspective in providing contemplative care as a chaplain or lay person. Our training brings students into supervised encounters with hospital patients at pivotal moments in their lives. Coming from a reflective, intimate involvement with people in both crisis and celebration, and with feedback from peers and teachers, students can develop a new awareness of themselves and of the needs of those they care for. In the Center’s CPE program, we emphasize the training of being with others, as differentiated from doing or helping another. From deep contemplative practice and reflection, students begin to acquire a new understanding of care giving. Within the interdisciplinary team process of helping professions, students develop skills in intrapersonal, interpersonal, and interprofessional relationships.
The Contemplative Advisory Committee oversees our Chaplaincy Training. The Committee consists of interdisciplinary professionals who meet at regular intervals to consult and advise us on the development of our Chaplaincy Training Program. The Committee helps insure that the CPE Training Program is well integrated within our organization and provides feedback for quality assurance.
Program Components per Unit
- The 300 hours of clinical practice of chaplaincy to patients and staff
- 100 hours of education in 10 monthly, daylong trainings held on Wednesdays, Thursdays or Fridays, and two four-day retreats
- Detailed reporting and evaluation of that practice
- Clinical supervision
- Monthly peer meetings
- Monthly readings and written papers
Areas of Focus:
- Contemplative care of those facing the crisis of illness and loss
- Spiritual assessment
- Spiritual diagnosis
- Transference and Countertransference
- Archetypal Approaches to Contemplative Care
- Spiritual Bypassing
- Care of dying persons and their loved ones
- Medical and spiritual ethics
- Buddhology of suffering
- Buddhology of contemplative care
- Contemplative care in multicultural and multi-faith settings
- Elective Study
To complement the training program, the New York Zen Center offers public talks, retreats, workshops, and other training programs. To view Upcoming Events, click here.
Location & Dates:
Dates for 2017-18 CPE Classes
New York City Training:
Location: New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care, 119 W. 23rd St., Suite 401
New York City, NY 10011
CPE: September 2017 to May 2018
Guidelines for Enrollment
Our New York City Contemplative CPE Training Program is designed for people who have taken our Foundations Training. If there is space in our upcoming training, those with previous CPE experience and significant Contemplative Practice experience will be considered. Our Houston training is open to those who have not done the Foundations Training.
- 3 Letters of recommendation: from a Buddhist teacher or someone who knows your spiritual practice, from an academic reference, and one from a personal reference
- An in-person interview for NYC and a Skype interview for our Houston Program
- Availability to do all your clinical hours in one of our partner institutions in New York City or Houston
- Please email: email@example.com for an application
- The cost for the ten-month program is $2750 + retreat fee
- A limited number of partial work-exchange scholarships may be available
- Space is limited. Applications will be reviewed as they are sent in. Admissions are rolling and on-going.
The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103, Decatur, GA 30033