Home > Certificate FAQs

Certificate FAQs

Do I have to be a Zen practitioner to enroll?

While the program is grounded in Zen practice, we have Insight, Tibetan, Theravadan, Catholic, Christian, Jewish and other contemplative traditions represented in our learning community. All are welcome.


What is the time frame for completion?

The Certificate can be completed in three years.


How can I use this certificate?

  • You can use this Certificate for professional continuing education. CEUs are available for  Social Workers for some of the units. NYZC is an approved provider of SW CEs through the NYSED State Board for Social Work. If you are licensed outside of New York State, please check with your local SW Board to make sure they’ll accept these CEs.

  • 18 specified units of this Certificate can be transferred to New York Theological Seminary as half of the Buddhist track of their 36-credit Masters in Pastoral Care and Counseling (MAPCC). To complete the MAPCC, 18 additional credits must be taken at New York Theological Seminary.

  • In addition, all 54 units of the Certificate can be used towards the equivalency of a 72-credit MDIV, which is recognized by the Association of Professional Chaplains, (APC).

  • For personal enrichment and enjoyment.